This curry is variation in dal dish you would like to serve. It can be eaten with roti, paratha or rice.
Spinach Mungdal Curry
- 250 gm (1 1/2 cup) mung dal soaked for 2 hrs
- 400 gm (approx. 3 bunches) spinach
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee/oil
- 100 gm onion finely chopped
- 2.5 cm ginger thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 50 ml coconut milk
- 2-3 spicy green chilies finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Wash the moongdal and soak for 2 hrs.
- Wash the spinach, drain well and steam for 5 minutes untill barely cooked. Chop roughly.
- Heat the ghee/oil in a frying pan , add pinch of cumin and saute garlic gently , fry the onion and ginger for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the drained dal and continue frying for 2-3 minutes. Pour on 300ml water bring to the boil, cover and cook until the dal is tender.
- Add chopped spinach , salt to taste and spicy green chilies (If you like the taste you can put garam masala powder and red chili powder if you want more spicy.) Cook them for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add coconut milk cook for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.