Coconut milk is packed with vitamin B complex and minerals like phosphorus and magnesium which we generally get from rear foods. Here we have combined it with lentils so good for them who would like to have more of protein and minerals. Here this soup gives you satiety as well as tastes to all age group. Kids who don’t have dal in routine course they will definitely like it. You can use other preferable lentils of your choice instead.
Coconut Red Lentil soup recipe
- 100 gm red split lentils
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 onion (medium) finely chopped
- 1 red pepper (small) deseeded and diced
- 1 green pepper deseeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp/as per taste grated nutmeg (jaifal)
- 300 ml (Approx. 1 ½ cup) vegetable stock
- 400 ml (approx. 2 cups coconut milk
- Salt and pepper as per taste
Ingredients for vegetable stock :
- 5 cups water
- 1 potato grated
- 1 onion (small) finely chopped
- 10 french beans finely chopped
- 1 small piece of cabbage (optional)
Procedure for vegetable stock:
Heat the oil and add 1 grated potato, 1onion, 10 finely chopped French beans and finely chopped cabbage and fry them gently for 2 minutes. Add water and boil it till you have 3 cups of stock remaining. Now strain it and keep it aside.
Procedure for Soup :
- Soak the red lentils in water for 30 minutes and drain.
- Heat the oil in large, heavy based pan and gently fry the onion and spices for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pepper and lentils and continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Pour the stock bring to the boil. Cover it for 15 minutes and stir it occasionally.
- If lentils have been cooked then Add coconut milk boil it for 10 mins.
- Add salt and cook for 2 minutes leave to cool for few minutes.
- Liquidize until completely smooth add black pepper and reheat gently before serving.